As we continue to navigate these challenging times, the safety and well being of our clients, employees, families and friends remains our top priority. To that end, as an essential business to the individuals and families we serve, we are reaching out to share important updates on steps we are taking to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus, while continuing to serve you with as minimal disruption as possible.

We want to ensure our clients and friends that our law firm is operating without material impact of the health concerns in that we have had in place advanced technologies that allow us to continue to provide excellent legal services while attorneys and staff operate remotely, to avoid in-person meetings in all cases where that is possible. We will continue to provide consultations and conferences via telephone and/or internet conferencing when needed. We will continue to provide all the excellent legal services that our clients and friends have come to expect!

Please do not hesitate to call us if you have concerns or are in need of legal assistance. We pray for the health, peace and provision for all of our clients, employees, friends and family as we “weather the storm” together.

What Costs am I Allowed to Pay to Birth Parents in an Adoption?

This will vary from state to state, because each state has its own adoption laws. It is therefore critical to evaluate the law for the state(s) involved in the adoption before you begin to pay any costs or monies. For example, in many states (including Pennsylvania) it is illegal to pay living expenses (rent, food, clothes, etc.) to birthparents, while other states will allow it, but may have certain restrictions on how much and who you can pay.

Pennsylvania law typically allows Adoptive Parents to pay their own attorney fees, to pay reasonable adoption agency fees, and to pay medical bills for the child and mother that are related to pregnancy and birth and that are not covered by health insurance.

Living expenses to the birthmother are not allowed under Pennsylvania law; however, if your birthmother lives in a state that allows payment of living expenses, you need to speak with your attorney as to whether you will be allowed to pay them.